A message from the ACRTA Director
Thank you for visiting the Allen County Regional Transit Authority website. As the Executive Director for ACRTA, I will ensure we continue to provide a high standard of service as we evolve to meet the present and future needs of our passengers and visitors.
As I’ve been visiting with local neighborhood associations and civic groups, I’ve found that many people are unaware of the massive benefits riding and investing in public transportation can provide.
Here are the top 10 reasons you should ride ACRTA or support those that do:
10. ACRTA Operators are safe, friendly and experienced. The average tenure of a bus operator is more than 14 years. Our dedicated bus, paratransit and UPLIFT operators make your safety and comfort their number one priority.
9. ACRTA is everywhere. With nine fixed bus routes and the Allen County UPLIFT system, there are few places not connected by ACRTA and as route planning continues to research local business, medical facilities, schools, and shopping plazas.
8. Riding ACRTA will save you money, and lots of it. Need another $839 in your pocket each month? The average annual savings for public transit riders last year was $10,064, according to the American Public Transportation Association’s (APTA), August 2014 Transit Savings Report. A one-way ride on an ACRTA bus is only $1.00.
7. ACRTA paratransit service connects thousands of disabled and elderly citizens within the community. UPLIFT’s service provides more than 40,000 trips each year to the elderly and those with disabilities, greatly improving their quality of life, providing access to jobs, medical, and services.
6. ACRTA bus service is a major economic engine for the community. According to a study conducted in 2012, the transit system plays a major role in generating economic growth in both public and private investments.
5. Riding the Lima Trolley is the most fun you can have for FREE. ACRTA acquired a 1991 trolley which is used for special community events and offered for service to nonprofit organizations. A piece of history back in Lima! It was 1940 when the first trolley provided transportation to Lima residents.
4. Riding ACRTA benefits the environment. Everyone knows that driving cars has a very negative impact on air quality. A household can reduce its carbon footprint by 30 percent if it eliminates one car and uses public transportation. So Dump the Pump and try transit.
3. Reduce our dependence on foreign oil. The use of public transportation across the United States saves the equivalent of 4.2 billion gallons of gasoline annually. That’s 11 million gallons of gasoline per day saved by simply taking the bus.
2. We love bikes. Every ACRTA bus is equipped with a bike rack. No need to drive your car to the parks or bike paths, when you can simply hop on a bus and let RTA do the driving.
1. Because ACRTA wants you to be our customer. Lobby dispatchers are always ready and willing to help you plan any trip on the ACRTA system. Simply call 419-222-2782 and ask.