UPLIFT is a helpful, alternative service for persons with disabilities who are unable to use the ACRTA fixed route bus service.
UPLIFT is a shared ride transportation service created and provided by the Allen County Regional Transit Authority for individuals who, because of a disability, are unable to use the fixed-route service. UPLIFT coordinates a ride for passengers that will share a vehicle and are traveling to similar destinations at the same time.
- Only one day advance notice to schedule
- Monday through Friday during the same hours as the fixed route services (5:45 AM – 10:15 PM)
- Saturday during the same hours as the fixed route services (7:45 AM – 5:15 PM)
- Door-to-Door service
- ACRTA does not have Sunday fixed route or UPLIFT services
- All UPLIFT vehicles are wheelchair lift- or ramp-equipped
- Eligibility for UPLIFT is based on specific criteria outlined by the ADA
To qualify for reduced rate UPLIFT services, approved eligibility process must be followed:
- If you have a disability (including a cognitive or visual impairment), which restricts mobility, and would like to apply for UPLIFT, please contact ACRTA at 419.222.2782.
- To download an application click here
*The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) mandates equal opportunity in employment, transportation, telecommunications, and places of public accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
Eligibility for UPLIFT transportation requires an application process which is available to download through this site or in person at the ACRTA Administrative Office. All applications are processed within 21 days or sooner, an application assessment may be required. Anyone visiting Lima that is a current approved ADA rider will be approved for UPLIFT services within 24 hours.
Complete this form and mail or deliver to:
Allen County Regional Transit Authority
Attn: Transportation Manager – Uplift
200 East High Street
Lima, Ohio 45801
Complaints may also be taken at 419-222-2782, ext. 0; or emailed to [email protected].
This includes those who cannot ride the fixed route, who are 65 and older and/or disabled. To be approved for eligibility at the discounted rate of $2 one must complete the process to qualify. The application has a section to be completed by the individual applying for service and another section to be completed by a physician or medical professional that has knowledge of your disability and need for special transportation services.
Applications for the UPLIFT Program are available at the ACRTA Administrative Office, by calling 419-222-2RTA(2752), or click here to download an application. The hearing impaired can use the Ohio Relay Service at 1-800-750-0750.
Once your application is approved and you have been notified, you may schedule UPLIFT trips.
- You must schedule a service trip no later than the end of the day prior to transport
- Schedule a trip by calling 419-222-2RTA(2782) or 1-800-750-0750 for hearing impaired
- Trips are assigned on a first come, first served basis and subject to the availability of vehicles
- All of the ACRTA vehicles are wheelchair equipped.
- A weight limit for the wheelchair lifts is not to exceed 800 pounds that includes the combined weight of the passenger and wheelchair.
An individual traveling with an eligible ACRTA client will be permitted to ride with paid fare.
- Guests will be required to pay the same fare as the ACRTA client
- Client and guest must have the same origin and destination
- PCAs traveling with a client ride for free
Reservations requiring child safety seats will depend on the availability of child safety seats.
- You must request a car seat for a child less than 40 pounds
- Children from 2 to 10 years of age will not be considered aids for clients
- Children 5 years and under ride for free
Service animals are welcome on all ACRTA vehicles and facilities.
Safe transportation is the primary responsibility of the operator.
- Operators are to assist clients on and off the van
- All passengers are required to wear seat belts on ACRTA vans
- Operators assist with securing seat belts and secure straps on wheelchairs
Calling for Reservations
UPLIFT reservations are made by calling 567-940-9445, Monday through Friday, 5:00 am – 6:00 pm
- Our employees will be happy to assist with reservations up until the day before service is needed
- First come first serve basis
- Clients should be ready and watch for the UPLIFT vehicle during the time frame that reservation was made
Canceling a Reservation
Call 419-222-2RTA(782) as soon as possible to cancel part or the entire trip
- Calling early will enable another client to schedule a trip
- Scheduling after 6:00pm can be left on the answering machine
ACRTA may suspend service for a client who accumulates no-shows
- Please call the office at 419-222-2RTA(782) for the policy
The UPLIFT service area serves ¾ of a mile beyond any fixed routes
- When calling to request service, please keep in mind the fixed routes
- The UPLIFT service covers the same area as the fixed routes plus ¾ of a mile beyond.
ADA approved riders pay $2.00 for service in the fixed route area plus ¾ mile.
- If travel is required outside of Allen County or outside of the fixed route area please call 567-940-9445 for a price quote